Nothing is more disturbing than a squeaky door. Your perfectly fine morning can ruin in seconds with just one noise when you open the door. One simple yet effective way of making the noise disappear is to use lubricants on the hinges. Lubricants not only reduce annoying noises but also increase the lifespan of the hinges.
To provide doors with more comfortable open and close operations, everyone is using lubricants nowadays. But selecting the best lubricants for door hinges is a whole other issue to be discussed. That’s what we intend to do in this post.
- 1 5 Best Lubricants for Door Hinges To Reduce Annoying Noise
- 2 How to Stop a Squeaky Door
- 3 How to Lubricate a Squeaky Door
- 4 Buying Guide for Lubricants for Door Hinges
- 5 FAQs
- 6 Final Words
5 Best Lubricants for Door Hinges To Reduce Annoying Noise
You will find a lot of options floating around when shopping for lubricants. Don’t go for any one of them before you’re satisfied with its features. We gathered a list of the five best lubricants for door hinges to make your search easier.
Liquid Bearings Synthetic Oil For Doors & Gates (Best All-Around)
- Immediately begins to displace sticky old petro-oils or sprays, quiets squeaks!
- Keeps indoor & outdoor hinges opening smoothly in any temperatures!
- Perfect for any door or gate lubrication, especially overhead garage doors
- Outdoor hinges left without lubrication will eventually freeze and not open!
- Superior for all household lubrication uses, toss the 3-in-1 oil and sprays
Liquid Bearings are the top category lubricant as they never turms into gums or become sticky. It penetrates through old, sticky oil deposits and dissolves them easily. You don’t have to use this again and again as one-time use is almost enough. It never fades or gets “old.” It’s better if you don’t use Vaseline or oil-based sprays on your door hinges. Lubricating oils and sprays leave a sticky residue as they evaporate over time. As a result, the oil actually gums up, which was once used as a lubricant.
On the other hand, Liquid Bearings is a fully synthetic compound. It’s designed never to gums up or sticks. These lubricants are also odorless. So you can stop worrying about your hands or clothes smelling like oil. You can start lubricating your door hinges with this right away, even if you have been using oil or Vaseline for years. You will instantly feel the difference after using this. Liquid bearing is plastic safe. Which means it will not have any impact on a painted surface.
- It will not gum up over time. So you apply it once and don’t have to worry about it.
- Liquid bearing is odorless. No worries about the smell of oil.
- Plastic safe. You can use it on any painted surface without any harmful results.
- The bottle comes with a narrow needle. Users preferring spray cans should look for other options.
UniSport Lubricant For Doors, Locks & Hinges (Best For Money)
- FIXES & PREVENTS: No more tough sticking sliding doors, sticky keys, stuck locks, squeaky doors, or squeaky garage doors
- INSTANTLY EFFECTIVE & LONG-LASTING: Works as soon as the oil is applied and stays on lasting a long-time
- STOP FROZEN LOCKS & YEAR-ROUND PERFORMANCE: Functions optimally between -35 F and 180 F to prevent frozen locks and provide year-round protection
- PREVENT RUST: Contains rust inhibitors that help to keep your doors, locks, and hinges looking good and functioning properly
- NON-TOXIC: Made with food-grade mineral-based products that contain no harmful chemicals or toxic substances.
If you are tired of squeaking doors, stuck lock, or a noisy garage door, this might be the best lubricant. It will not only fix these problems but also prevent this from happening again. UniSport lubricant will protect your doors and locks from rusting as well. You will instantly feel the smoothness as you apply the oil. It will make your doors a lot smoother and quieter once you start using it.
Food grade mineral-based products are used to make this lube. It doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals or toxic substances. It’s a rare quality to find in lubricants, so if you are strong safety concerned, we recommend you go for this one.
UniSport lubricant operates smoothly between an extended range of temperatures to provide protection against frozen hinges. Moreover, it protects your door hinges from rusting. You can use this lubricant on outside door hinges without any concerns.
Another excellent feature of this lubricant is its very versatile. You can use this for multiple purposes other than for door hinges.
- Rust inhibitor used in it protect doors from rust
- Free from harmful substances
- Instant results last for a very long time
- The lube can drip when applying
DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant Spray (Best for Value)
- A clean, light-duty product, DuPont Silicone Lubricant with Teflon Fluoropolymer is excellent for non-metal materials that may be damaged by conventional lubricants
- Waterproofs, protects, lubricates, and preserves rubber, plastic, vinyl, leather, metal, wood, and more
- Eliminates squeaking and binding in windows, hinges, locks, etc.
- Helps prevent rust, oxidation, and corrosion on all metals
- Protects fishing gear, tools, and farm equipment from salt, chlorine, and corrosives
This silicone lube is best suited for non-metal materials. It’s a light-duty, clean product. If you want a product for plastic, vinyl, rubber, leather, or wood, this is the lubricant you are looking for.
Apply this lube on windows, hinges, or locks to fix squeaking and binding. It will lubricate, waterproof, and preserve the door hinges. You can apply it on fishing gear or tools or farm equipment to protect them from salt, chlorine, and corrosives. This lubricant’s diverse use offers you to use this on different things, so you don’t have to buy appliance-specific products.
Forget about annoying squeaky noises because DuPont grants you the most smooth operating doors and keep your hinges from further inconveniences. Metal lubricants can damage your non-metal door hinges because they contain different substances inappropriate for the hinges. DuPont contains Teflon Fluoropolymer to make it light and suitable for non-metal surfaces.
- Perfect for lubricating non-metal surfaces
- Lubricates, protects, and preserves plastic, rubber, leather, metal, vinyl, wood, etc.
- Prevents corrosion, rust, and oxidation on all metals
- The straw dispenser isn’t very satisfactory
AGS DEK3 Lubricant For Door
- Made in United States
- Package height :18.0 cm
- Package length :2.6 cm
- Package width :11.8 cm
The most positive thing you need to know about this stick is it’s extremely durable. It will last years before you even have to think about buying a new one. Remember that it comes as a stick. There’s no tube or container to hold this. So you have to consider two things. One, how are you going to store this, and two, if you are comfortable with the application method.
If you don’t feel comfortable using a lubricant stick, you may have to look for other options. Performance-wise, there should be nothing to complain about. You can rely on AGS to make your door stop making that annoying squeaky sound and offer you a smooth and quietly operating the door.
You should keep the stick well-protected when not using to increase its longevity. You can use this stick on door hinges as well as drawers, gates, cupboard doors, etc., to stop any annoying noises they may be making. Overall, this is one of the best door hinges greases you can find.
- Stops squeaky noises and provides smoothly operating doors
- Lasts very long, so you don’t have to buy lubricants frequently
- You can use it on multiple surfaces
- You may need to apply the lubricant frequently on the hinges
3-IN-ONE Multi-Purpose Oil For Doors, Locks and More
- Since 1894 this versatile multi-purpose drip oil has been a trusted tool used by professional tradesmen and do-it-yourselfers
- Lubricates, cleans and protects against rust and corrosion. Offers precise application with no overspray or splatter, and its updated packaging has a fill level indicator strip that shows you when you're running low
- Great for wheels, casters, sliding doors, chains, power tools and external parts of small motors, hinges, nuts and bolts, bicycles, wheels, fans and many other moving parts
- Squeeze bottle design offers control over the amount of lubricant dispensed. Size is ideal for Automotive, Marine, Home, and Shop use
- Marksman Twist Spout makes it easy to use and apply product exactly where you want it
With this 8-oz bottle of 3-in-one lubricant, you will get everything you are looking for in a door hinge lubricant. You must give them credit for the innovativeness of their brand name. They have been on the market since 1894. That says a lot about a brand.
Moving forward to the performance of this lubricant, you get three functions, as the name suggests. Lubrication, cleaning, and protection against rust and corrosion. If there is any prior residue sitting on the door hinges, this lubricant will clean them up and make your door smoother than ever. It will stop any squeaking noises your door made before using this product. Moreover, after using this lube, you are getting a protected layer on the hinges against rust and corrosion.
Another feature to note is, you can use this on versatile situations like doors, locks, motors, inter and external parts of an engine, tools, nuts, and bolts, and more. The bottle comes with a narrow nozzle, and you need to squeeze the oil out, so you can have full control over how much lube you need.
- Lubricates your door hinges to provide smooth operating
- Cleans your door hinges to stop any squeaky noises
- Protects against further rust and corrosion
- The container is not very satisfactory
How to Stop a Squeaky Door
You need to lubricate the door hinges to stop a squeaky door because that’s where the squeakiness starts from. The process is pretty simple. Follow the steps explained below to stop your squeaky door in no time.
- If your door hinges come with removable pins, you need to remove the pin first. Take an 8d nail and push it beneath the pin located between the hinge plates. The pin will pop from the top. Remove the pin carefully. Let the other hinges stay as they are and keep the door closed while doing the next step.
- Clean the pin to ensure there’s no dirt sitting. Any dirt will make the lubrication messy and result in more squeaks. Wipe the hinge plates as well—no need to use water to clean them.
- Take the pin and coat it with your preferred lubricant. For example, if you are using petroleum jelly, apply a light layer of jelly over the pin. Make sure you coat the whole pin.
- Place the lubricated pin inside the hinges.
- Follow the same method with the rest of the hinge pins.
- Open and close the door to see if the method worked. If it didn’t, try changing your lubricant.
If your door hinges don’t come with removable pins, you have to lubricate them, keeping them in place. In this case, you will have to take your time to apply lubrication because they need to be absorbed inside the hinges to do their work.
Using a container with a narrow pipe-like needle will make it easier to apply the lubricant inside the hinges. Add lubricant on the hinges and move the door front and back a few times to help the hinges absorb the lubricant.
The easiest way to stop squeaky door is to get the best door hinge lubricants. You can select any of the lubricants mentioned above to get the best result with your door. Try using better-quality hardware when you are installing new doors or replacing old ones. Prevention is always better than cure. After all, preventing a door from making noises is far better than curing a squeaky door.
How to Lubricate a Squeaky Door
There are a few surprising near-at-hand solutions you can apply to make your door stop squeaking. Sometimes a little DIY way of your creativity is all it takes to solve the problem arising around you.
Did you know that your hairspray can be used to stop that squeaky noise your door makes? Even though it’s a temporary solution, hairspray works great as a quick fix. It creates a layer of polymer over the hinges and makes sure they are not loose.
Spray two or three times on the hinges and check if the noise disappeared by opening and closing the door. If it didn’t, spray a few more times. Remember that this is only a temporary solution. If you want to stop your squeaky door permanently, you should look for other options.
Bar soaps have fats and oils like coconut and palm in them that help lubricate your squeaky door hinges. Soaps have always been used as lubricants since far back. They were even used in industries before other lubricants became popular.
Take the soap and rub it on the door hinges. Open and close the door a few times to make sure the squeaking stopped. If it didn’t, keep rubbing until the noise stops.
Another simple solution for squeaking hinges is olive oil. Only a few drops of olive oil lubricates squeaking hinges. We recommend you use an oil can or a pipette to ease the process. Add a few olive oil drops on the hinges. That should make your door squeak-free.
Even though petroleum jelly is usually used for moisturizing your skin, it has other perks too. The oily feature of petroleum jelly makes an excellent lubricant for door hinges. It’s also very affordable and available near at hand.
Rub the jelly on the outside of the hinge until it enters into the hinge. If you want to be more thorough with the process, remove the hinge pin, coat it in petroleum jelly, and replace the pin back in the hinge.
Paraffin candles contain petroleum jelly that can act as a lubricant for noisy hinges. Light the candle to soften it. Remove the pin from the hinge, grease it with the candle. Put the pin back in the hinge, and the squeaks should stop.
Buying Guide for Lubricants for Door Hinges
We have discussed a few lubricants you can select for your doors. But how do you decide which one will be the best for you? You need to be enlightened know what to consider before getting a lubricant for your door hinges to answer this question.
You must be thinking what’s thickness got to do with anything. But the truth is, the lubricants’ thickness matter when it comes to doors. Whether you are using a DIY lubricant (like hair spray petroleum jelly) or a store-bought lubricant, thickness plays an important role. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Lighter lubricants drip when you apply them and result in a mess. They also dry faster, so they’re a temporary solution. You need to keep re-applying them frequently. Thicker lubricants, on the other hand, are more durable. But they are harder to apply and attracts dust. Maintaining thick lubricated door hinges is comparatively tougher.
Your door hinges must be compatible with the ingredients used for making the lubricant. Lubricants are mostly made using Teflon, lithium, or silicone. Check the product’s instructions to make sure they won’t react with your hinges and result in damage.
You have to match the hinge material with the lubricant’s ingredient before buying the product. If you have come through graphite lubricants, you should know that they are more suitable for door locks rather than hinges.
Avoid picking something extremely harmful. All lubricants will contain some strong chemicals. But some stay longer, spreading harmful elements and hamper your health. Problem-solving comes later. Your safety should be your primary concern.
Moreover, you should also think about your interior when you are applying lube to your door hinges. If your door doesn’t have removable pins and you own a very expensive carpet, be careful not to spill any lube on the carpet. They are very hard to remove.
Some lubricant comes in bottles, some in spray cans. It depends on which one you prefer when applying it to your hinges. The bottles can contain narrow needles to make the applying easier. Removable hinges are not that hard to lubricate. But when your door features fixed hinges, you must consider the applying method you are getting with the product.
What type of lubricant is great for both heavy and light-duty applications?
Silicone spray is suited for both heavy-duty and light-duty applications. It’s easy to apply and can be used on any door.
Where to oil a squeaky door?
The hinges are where squeakiness generates. When oiling, you should oil the hinges to stop squeaky noises.
Nobody wishes to start their day with squeaky noises from their door. If you don’t take care of your door once it starts making squeaky noises, it will result in damaging the door permanently. Eventually, you will have to replace the hardware on your door, which will cost you much more. The elementary way to solve this issue is to use the best lubricants for door hinges.
Selecting a lube product for door hinges may sound like an unimportant chore to do, but it’s not. If you fail to choose what’s right for the hinges, neither you nor the door will be comfortable with the results.