If you do not like working for somebody and still want to earn decent bucks, then you are not alone. According to “Monster poll”, 76 Percent of Job Seekers Say Their Boss is ‘Toxic’. People also look for better alternatives. There are many options for you if you want to work independently.
If you have money and time to invest, the locksmith business or automotive locksmith business could be a good choice for you. Its payoff is totally worthy. Initially, there is not much difference between setting up a locksmith business or an automotive locksmith business. I am going to show you 10 ways of how to start a car locksmith business.
- 1 How to Start a Car Locksmith Business (10 Steps You Need to Follow)
How to Start a Car Locksmith Business (10 Steps You Need to Follow)
1. Plan your Business
Big or small, digital or non-digital, before you set ahead, you need to plan before beginning your start-up. It would be best to consider how much money or time you can invest here: that will tell how big or size your business is. Moreover, questions like “Who is your target market?
How much can you charge customers and for what services and what time? What will you name your business? Is this a 24/7 business like Car OKC Locksmith or not?” and many more will tell you how exactly this business will run.
Do not rush into investing without having a clear picture in mind of the whole business’s operations.
2. Be a Locksmith!
It is possible that you don’t have past experience in the locksmith business. For the newbies, you should know that all successful locksmiths complete some professional training course that issues a certification or prepares them to become a certified locksmith. This is true for the automotive locksmith as well.
Whether online or offline, make sure that the training courses are created by the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA). Finally, search for a local locksmith/automotive locksmith that will be willing to give you hands-on experience. And, then you will be ready.
- 【 What You Get】 -- Hook tool set includes 4 smaller hooks - 3 inch shafted straight auto, curved hook, 45-degree hook, and 90 degree tool with 3.5 inch grip handles (6.5 inch/16.5cm full length); Also includes 5 larger automotive – 6 inch shafted straight mechanic, curved hook, 45-degree hook, 90-degree right angle, and a 1” scraper tool with 4 inch grip handles (10inch/25.4cm full length).
- 【 Power Function 】-- Multipurpose 9 in 1 set; Precision car hook & scraper, meet your different demand when you need to scrape, hook, or while repairing. Ideal for separating wires, removing small fuses, retrieving washers and loose parts.
- 【 Telescopic Magnetic Tool 】-- Its not rocket science! It’s a telescoping magnet, it has a long handle and it extends from 7 inches to 30 inches. That is a lot of reach for nearly every practical purpose. It helps to grab objects in far to reach places for example: nuts, bolts, screws, jewelry, and other lost metal objects.
- 【High Quality 】-- Constructed of chrome vanadium steel shafts and ergonomic handles make these mechanic hand tools strong and durable; Metal also feature chrome plating or blackened finish for resistance to rust and corrosion; Each piece in this hook tool set has an extended length that allows you a deeper reach into tight spaces.
- 【 Wide Applictions】-- Handy storage tray included for easy storage. Perform well in removing gaskets, springs, oil seals, O-rings, and other small gadgets From motorcycle or automobile. Use this automotive set as an O ring set, radiator hose set, seal remover and installation tool, or gasket scraper set.
3. Be a Specialist!
Like any other profession, it is essential that you are specialized in a particular field. In the locksmith business, there are 3 niches that you can work with: Residential( Homes and residential Properties), Commercial( offices, corporations, and industrial units) & Automotive(Cars and vehicles).
If you’re unsure about which way to take, you can always talk to several local locksmiths and see what they have to say and then make up your mind!
4. Permit and Licensing
When it comes to licensing, requirements vary from state to state in the United State. Some states require licensing; others don’t. Check with your city or county officials before starting your business to avoid legal consequences.
5. Get Insured
Just as with licenses and permits, your business needs insurance. Without it, it is challenging to operate your business safely and lawfully. Business Insurance protects your company financially if it goes down.
There are several types of insurance policies created for different types of businesses with additional risks. Take the one that suits your business and how you will run it. There are also several plans offered by the different companies in packages.
- Sturdy steel shafts with heat treatment for durable strength
6. Register for Taxes
Keep in mind that the IRS is not a very good friend when it comes to tax. Do not forget to register for a variety of state and federal taxes. No one wants to wake up one morning and have no business the next day! Do you?
Not all business is suitable for all places. Drinks and soda will be sold best on beaches than in a 5 stars Hotel. Depending on the type of service you are willing to provide, you have to choose your location. Take into consideration the demographics and the future of the need for your business offering. Understand fully that this place needs another locksmith!
You should also consider the operating cost you need to bear if you set your business here and whether your target customers will pay that high. It is possible that you offer quality services, but your customers are not willing to pay that high! Your competitor will win those rounds.
8. Categories your Service
This is not only a significant decision, but also one of the toughest. You can either go mobile or stay brick and mortar. You should look into comparisons.
It is less expensive to set up your mobile locksmith business as you don’t have to worry about rent and security compared to the other. They can respond to lockout emergencies faster in the more significant zone. A bigger area means you have more chances of getting many customers.
On the other hand, it has many limitations. It can’t offer product variation as much as brick and mortars. In addition to that, mobile locksmiths have to work way more challenging to gain their credibility. There are always chances that you are a scammer locksmith! Crime incidents related to this are rising nowadays. A brick and mortar locksmith has a physical address, so people take it as somewhat credible.
9. Tools and Equipment
Now you are trained, ready, have equity no legal issues whatsoever, and that means you can start working? You also need tools and equipment to get your job done. Let me tell you that a standard locksmith toolbox contains the following items:
- Beginners’ lock pick set
- Broken key extractors
- Formed end tweezers
- Laser key cutter and key duplicator
- Padlock shims
- Tension tools
- Hand-held scope
For you to be an automotive locksmith(for cars and other vehicles) as well, consider these as well:
- Universal gas cap
- The small and large auto wedge sets
- Slim jim set
- Auto shutter toolset
- Auto jigglers
You may consider having a lock and safe scope, especially for homes, Everest locks tension wrench, and a key decoder.
You that you are truly ready, you should let others know about it. Yellow page leaflets, billboards, advertising on newspapers, or even local TV networks can make others see who you are and what you are offering.
A directory book position could really work as people will often be looking for you when they are in an emergency and locked out of their car or home. Make sure you are listed on Google Places, Mapquest, and other online directories. An online presence can take your business way up!
Now you know what it takes and how it is done. Creating a business needs tough work and dedication. If you have these things, why wait? Don’t forget to have fun doing all of this.