Fell in love with someone? Want to spend your whole life with him or her? You might be surprised to know what insane stuff people do fulfill such wishes! You’re going to know the most famous love lock bridge locations with that nice, great, and tragedic story to hear.
One crazy thing that loves birds right now does is that they sometimes stick a padlock on bridges in different cities so that their relationship utopia stays intact! We think you’re astonished to hear this amazing (or weird) sorta ritual, but it’s real!
One more thing; this is going to be a long article!
But to live with love, you should read!
- 1 What is a Love Lock Bridge?
- 2 History of Love Lock Bridges
- 3 10 Most Famous Love Lock Bridge Locations
- 3.1 Most Ljubavi, Serbia
- 3.2 Pont des Arts Bridge: Love Lock Bridge, Paris
- 3.3 Brooklyn Bridge, New York (Best love lock bridge locations)
- 3.4 Hohenzollern Bridge
- 3.5 N Seoul Tower, Seoul, South Korea
- 3.6 Ponte Milvio, Rome
- 3.7 Mount Huang, China
- 3.8 Butchers’ Bridge, Slovenia
- 3.9 Luzhkov Bridge, Moscow
- 3.10 Malá Strana, Prague
- 3.11 Final Words
What is a Love Lock Bridge?
The love lock or padlock bridge is considered a sacred place for couples. Lovers believe that all the love lock places around the world symbolize immortal love. If you would like to be a true lover, should believe that, shouldn’t you?
Naturally, people go to the love lock bridges and write or engrave the name of them and their valentine on Padlock then affix it to public objects. For expressing true love, they are doing the same!
Mostly the padlocks are affixed to bridges and then through the key to the nearby river. They believe that the ritual will make their love forever and unbreakable.
History of Love Lock Bridges
Though in the last 25 years, these bridges have been more popular among tourists and couples but the places have also been treated as litter. The architectural conditions of these places have been the reason for vandalism. This is also expensive to maintain the places clean.
There is a significant idea behind such a celebration. People engrave the name of their own names and the names of their beloved on the lock and throw the keys in the river underneath. This symbolizes the ultimate sealing of romantic relations.
- 【Expandable Design】(L)20.8 x (W)9.8 x (H)11.8 inch. Weight: 1.3kg/2.86 lb (Large). Pull down 2 side zippers to extend the bag to 24.4 inches long. This duffel bag can also as a carrying luggage on flight without any worries
- 【Material】100% Brand New travel duffel bags made by high density cotton canvas and classical bronze tone hardware, soft nylon lining, smooth large zippers
- 【Multi-Pocket & Large Capacity】Weekender bag Interior with 1 large main compartment and 1 zipper pocket. Exterior with 2 side zipper pockets, 2 front zipper pockets and 1 back zipper pocket. Spacious with 50L to hold 15" laptop, IPad Air, clothes, shoes and other daily essentials for 3-4 days trip
- 【Elaborate Details】1.)This travel bag comes with rounded stitched grip handles & padded adjustable, removable shoulder strap. It has 3 carrying ways: hold on hand, carry on the shoulder or cross body. 2.)4 high quality plastic cushions at the bottom to make the bag well resistance to dirty and wear
- 【Multipurpose】A Good travel duffle bag for Men & Women. Could also be used as a weekend bag, overnight bag, short journey bag, camping bag, business duffel, sports duffle, gym tote bag, carry-on luggage, just in case bag, etc
Keys being dropped from the bridge signifies the unalterable nature of their strong relationship.
Although, there are tons of significations behind such actions. Nobody can guarantee the actual output and the future of these relationships. With each day the number of divorce rates is going high up above, signaling that people’s gradual turn away from commitment in marriage.
Further, the number of people at the old homes is also increasing, displays a clear indication of the rapid reduction of the values people had in usual family units, where sons and daughters cared for their parents.
But these are a thing of the past. Love locks are not being able to get in the way of such a loveless future. Enough with this, let’s just look at this funny and interesting phenomenon and how people are following this trend.
This article can help you to know more and also offers you to make a decision to visit these places.
10 Most Famous Love Lock Bridge Locations
Around the world, there are many love lock bridges where lovers express their true love and affix engraved padlock for making their love forever.
With the development and the increase in the engagement of social networking sites the issue of trends started to make a significant alteration in the way people behave.
These raise in different sorts of trends made people more and more eager to participate in these trends and display their solidarity.
Similarly, like the other trends, this issue of sticking a lock at certain locations started to become a trend. Although, it has been there for some time Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and thousands of other blogging sites made this trend go global.
The bridges known locally became a tourist destination and people from all over the world started flocking to these bridges to make a long-lasting memory.
Want to get inspiration to make your nearby bridges a love bridge? Let’s look at some of the bridges which became famous and now, known as quite a celebrated location for lovers around the world! We have picked 10 of the most visited love lock bridges from around the world with most of them being in Europe
Most Ljubavi, Serbia
Our first destination is the beautiful East European nation of Serbia. Although known very widely for political conflicts, Serbia is also known for its natural beauty and love lock bridge!
One of the love lock bridge in Serbia is known as Most Ljubavi. Most Ljubavi in Vrnjacka Banja is a pedestrian bridge which also known as “Bridge of love” and it’s the earliest love lock bridge of all.
This is one of the most remarkable love lock bridges in the world and also in the town. This is the place where history started back in 100 years at least.
Yeah, you read it right! Almost 100 years ago! This place carries the Serbian tale of Nada and Relja. But should keep in mind that you’re going to read a tragic story.
A girl named Nada, a school teacher fell in love with a Serbian officer named Relja. After being committed to Nada, Relja had to go to Greece for his service in WWI. While in Greece Rejia fell in love with another girl called Corfu. Rejia at some point married Corfu which broke the heart of Nada. Nada, in the end, dies like many of the 19th century love-wrecked women. Yes, you guessed it right she was said to have died off because of unbearable grief and sadness.
- Stay Hot or Stay Cold- Retain the temperature of your chosen beverage for a prolonged period of time when you choose Juro. Any drink that is hot, like coffee, can stay hot for up to 6 hours. Cooler drinks, (i.e. lemonade), can stay cold for up to 24 hours. The high-quality stainless steel and the double-walled insulation design ensures beverage can stay either hot or cold over time.
- Unique Lids- Features two unique lids to choose from when enjoying your beverage. A new Slider Lid is fast and simple to use. It was inspired by the millions of coffee drinkers that enjoy sipping on their drinks quickly. Also provided is the Flip Lid, which allows you to enjoy your drink safely. The tight clip seal on the Flip Lid helps prevent splashing and spilling. A Steel Straw is provided to sip on your beverages casually and a Straw Cleaner will keep your straw fresh and pristine.
- Sleek and Lightweight- Made with 100% Stainless Steel. Gently fits into your hand with an Anti-Sweat design. The 20 oz. lightweight and compact feel make it easy to fit into most car cup holders. Carry around your beverages whether out at the mall, soccer game, or park. Stay refreshed and hydrated no matter what adventure life takes you on.
- Eco-Friendly- Stop wasting and polluting with store bought plastic bottles and cups. Help save the ecosystem by using less plastic and distributing less waste across the globe by using a washable and reusable alternative to your daily beverage intake. Protect yourself and the lives of plants and animals around you by choosing Juro. When washing, our tumbler is BPA Free so you are safe from toxins.
- Warranty- Juro is proud to offer a Lifetime Warranty on our Juro 20oz Tumbler.
After the incident, the Women of Vrnjačka Banja in Serbia started a ritual that writing the name of them and their beloved on a padlock and affixing it to the railing and then through the key in the river. The women empathized with the story of Nada and her sacrifice as well as to protect their love for eternity. They used to lock their padlock in the place where Relja and Nada used to meet each other.
This superstition later developed into a full-scale ritual thing until recently, it became a valuable item in the lovers’ bucket list. So all the love lock bridges of today’s make resonance in the heart of couples and these are also considered as the monument of the love of Nada.
Basically, in theory, this activity of locking padlocks with names engraving on them commemorates the memory of a couple who couldn’t stay together. Or perhaps it signifies the love of Nada in particular who because of intense and irresistible passion for Rejia couldn’t just walk away with another man and died of the heartache caused by grief of some sort.
So whoever you’re commemorating or not commemorating this doesn’t matter in the first place. We’re only giving you the information and the rest is up to you. In this area, there also have around 15 more love lock bridges but Most Ljubavi is special since it carries the historical starting.
Pont des Arts Bridge: Love Lock Bridge, Paris
Pont des Arts Bridge is also a pedestrian bridge which is located in France. At first, the bridge was established at the beginning of the 19th century and rebuilt between 1981 and 1984, after it collapsed 60 meters in 1979. Now the bridge is situated between the Institut de France and the Louvre.
This bridge is also known as Passerelle des Arts to the local citizen. The enchanting bridge is placed over a mesmerizing river Seine. River Seine has added to the array of aesthetic beauties surrounding the bridge.
Apart from the historical story about love and relationship, this bridge also has its significant history is the Pon des Arts Bridge/Passerelle des Arts is the first Iron Bridge in Paris. People come over here on holidays to enjoy the cathartic beauty with their beloved and hang the padlocks while taking selfies.
However, this place is gradually losing the structural beauty and strength as well because of the very reason it got its fame.
Yes, it is the very padlocks that are the main reason for which the bridge is at risk. It is one instance when we get to see the negative impacts this trend is causing to various sites.
- EASY STORAGE: Clever design flattens into a neat disc. Great for any backpack, dorm or drawer.
- SUPER PORTABLE: 1 quart capacity is perfect for personal use, and compact for easy portability.
- LIGHT & DURABLE: This collapsible kettle is made with the high quality food-grade silicone.
- SPEED BOIL: Use this electric tea kettle to boil up to 4 cups of piping hot coffee or tea on the go
- SUPERIOR SAFETY: This advanced water kettle unit features overheat and boil-dry protection.
According to speculation, each padlock has a weight from 50 to 90 grams, so on average, it is 75g. If each padlock carries the 75g as average weight and the bridge is covered from both sides up to 150m length then the per row carries 7500 padlocks and per side along with the entire bridge carry 187500 and 375000 gradually. And this amount of padlocks creates around 28 tonnes which equally resemble 400 people that standing on the bridge.
Unbelievable, isn’t it?
So this is not unexpected if the bridge starts to collapse abruptly. Even some portions have already been collapsed as the inevitable consequence. The authority did not make any restrictions directly for the tourists and lovers to affix the padlock on the railing but they inspired them to just take selfies on bridges and use the hashtag “#lovewithoutlocks” on social media.
For the French authorities, it’s not locking each other up that is romantic to them rather it is the idea of love with any locks and keys that is more romantic! We think you should do the same instead of locking a padlock bringing down bridges.
And Mayor Anne Hidalgo ordered the local police to dissuade vendors from selling padlocks near the city’s bridges. They believe that saying no to the padlocks on the railing can stabilize the vandalism.
Brooklyn Bridge, New York (Best love lock bridge locations)
Brooklyn Bridge is the earliest roadway bridge in the United States. This bridge is also a hybrid cable-stayed or suspension bridge in New York City which is 50% longer than any other suspension bridge that was made before Brooklyn Bridge. The construction of the bridge had been started in 1869 and took time to be finished till 1883.
The individual who was directly involved in this project is John Augustus Roebling, a German immigrant who had worked as a bridge and road builder for the Prussian government. He also had real-life suffering to come up with the idea to make the bridge. He started initiatives to make the idea feasible after crossing the East River where he had taken a ferry across and that ended up stuck in the ice.
The Brooklyn Bridge is also the place for lovebirds to practice the Lovelock ritual. Couples lock their engraved padlocks on the railing and after that, they throw the key to the river.
The Department of Transportation disclosed that recently visitors also tie the hair bands, shoelaces, and even headphones to the bridge.
This culture is popular in Paris and Italy but this couldn’t be traced to who started first in Brooklyn Bridge. Whoever the person is, the practice has been increased recently from Federico Moccia’s novel “Ho Voglia di Te”, where it depicted a couple doing it in Florence. But considering the weak construction, the authority started removing all the locks from the bridge and aiming not to risk the old architectural heritage.
Around 34,200 little locks are time-consuming to remove and it will also cost about $100,000 a year to remove the litters from the bridge. So the Department of Transportation (DOT) decides to create an awareness campaign by posting warning signs for visitors. The authority has forbidden visitors to leave anything on the bridge and if they do it as well they will be fined $100 for violating the city administrative code.
For making love forever, you’ll be fined $100. We’d advise you to spend that hundred bucks on something good. Donate it to someone who may need or eat out with your wifey someplace good.
Still way better than getting fined for hanging some padlocks.
- LIGHTWEIGHT – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier! The Summer 3Dmini Convenience Stroller has a durable aluminum frame that weighs 11 pounds and has a full-sized seat, plus auto-lock, anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels.
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running everyday errands, having a lightweight, compact stroller is a must! It’s mini, but mighty for long-term use and offers both an everyday and travel stroller option.
- MULTI-POSITION RECLINE - Keep your little one comfortable with multi-position recline, padded seat back and padded 5 point safety harness. It’s perfect for naptime strolls and edge-of-the-seat travels! Maximum weight for this toddler stroller: 45 pounds.
- COMPACT FOLD – The easy, compact fold makes it simple to store this lightweight umbrella stroller and bring it with you on the go! Plus, it has a hassle-free canopy with flip out sun visor that is perfect for sunny days.
- EXTRA STORAGE – With plenty of storage in this stroller, you won’t have to leave anything at home. It includes a storage basket, rear storage pocket and two cup holders.
Hohenzollern Bridge is not different in practicing lovelock ritual than any other love lock bridge. You can see the millions of padlocks are clasped on the railing as the token of everlasting love.
It is presumed that the people of Cologne, Germany started practicing the tradition in 2008. They practice the ritual in the same conventional way people of the other countries used to do and the place is as charming as every love bridge is.
The Hohenzollern Bridge is situated in the German city of Cologne and crossing the river Rhine. The Bridge crosses the Rhine River at kilometer 688.5 and the bridge itself has 409.19 meters (1,342.5 ft) in length. This bridge was used as Road Bridge and also a railway before the destruction happened in 1945.
After the renovation of the bridge, it is only used as a railway and pedestrian bridge and this was first constructed between 1907 to 1911 after the old bridge named Cathedral Bridge. At that time Cathedral Bridge was unable to bear the increasingly heavy load of the activities that took place on it. Along with the love lock tradition, this bridge also holds the historical truth of world war ll. Around 1,200 trains or more than that pass through the bridge daily and this Railway Bridge connected two stations, the Köln Hauptbahnhof and Köln Messe/Deutz stations.
Most of the parts of the bridge are covered by over 40000 padlocks which creates 2 tons of weight to the bridge. The experts doubt that the bridge will be able to continue carrying such an increased amount of weight resulting from hanging padlocks every day.
N Seoul Tower, Seoul, South Korea
N Seoul Tower is the first radio wave tower that broadcasts signals for TV and radio in Seoul. The tower broadcasts for Korean media like MBC, SBS TV, FM, TBS, PBC, CBS, KBS, and BBS FM, etc. The Seoul Tower is also known as the Namsan Tower which is the second-highest point in Seoul, South Korea. The tower is situated on Namsan Mountain in central Seoul.
This tower was built in 1971 and it does not only provide broadcasting signals but also a popular place for couples. The authority of this tower also made some Love padlock trees around the terrace where the couples from all around the world come to visit.
Yeah, from bridges now to trees. The padlock tradition is not to stop, I see.
Visitors affix their padlocks on the trees or tower’s fences at the base of the tower. This romantic place resembles other lovelock places but the authority or the government doesn’t share the same thought as the other governments. The authority here rather encourages the people or visitors to leave their token of love and make the love as everlasting as it should be.
At the top of the tower, there are chairs that look broken but the chairs were made intending the couples sitting closer and some of the couples even write their wishes and love promises on those chairs. While other countries are worried about the environmental pollution that generates from the thrown keys, the Seoul tower authority has the ultimate great idea about the ‘postbox of love’.
What in the world is that again?
- Smooth ride: suspension system & Air filled tires provide an ultra-smooth ride over any terrain
- Perfect Fit: Adjustable handlebar creates the perfect Fit for parents of all heights; no-rethread harness design for easy height adjustments
- Extra space: 10 storage pockets and extra-large cargo basket provide plenty of room for your gear; includes a cell phone pocket handlebar
- Travel system ready: compatible with most major brand car seats with the use of a BOB infant car seat Adapter (sold separately)
- Fit: birth to 50 lbs per seat (100 lbs total); 0 to 8 weeks when used with compatible Duallie adapter and infant car seat; meets Disney size requirements
Postbox of love is the place where couples leave their keys after locking the padlocks and make the love endurable. Authority donates the revenue generated from the postbox keys to the underprivileged children in South Korea as the donation. This event is the real remark of love and the Seoul tower is spreading love all the way through the couple to underprivileged children.
That’s a great idea they have brought!
The custom of affixing locks on tower fences’ or on trees has originated from the local tourist who used to see the event in Tokyo Tower. This also has been more popular by celebrity, singer Alex. These two TV stars were seen together in the MBC reality program “We’ve Got Married” and after that, on June 15 this place was chosen as a reunion venue for the celebrities which took public attention greatly.
The natural view is also eye soothing if anyone reaches the place by cable car. This tower is also has a splendid view from the top of the tower and the pinnacle of the tower is also visible from almost everywhere in Seoul city.
Ponte Milvio, Rome
Ponte Milvio Bridge is situated over the third largest river in Italy naming the Tiber. The bridge is also known as Milvian Bridge and this was a very important bridge from the beginning in terms of economic issues in the era of the Roman Empire.
Since the bridge was constructed in 206 BC it had to go through reconstruction so many times. This bridge is also referred to as the place where Christianity prevailed as the religion of the Roman Empire.
For being repaired several times and considering the additions of statues and a tower by several Popes the Milvian Bridge or Ponte Milvio Bridge look more different than the earliest structure. This place got a new historical event in 2006.
The couples started considering this bridge as a lovelock bridge being inspired by the book of “Ho Voglia di Te” (I want you), written by, Federico Moccia and then the movie version of the novel. They came to the bridge and locked the padlock to a lamppost.
Eventually, by the year 2007, the lamppost was distorted because of the heavyweight of padlocks. But this act of vandalism couldn’t stop the lovers from performing such activities. Then the authority took initiative and ordered visitors not to hook the padlock anywhere in the bridge or lamppost. The council authorities in Rome even fine 50 euro (£40) if people hang the padlocks. And finally, in 2012 the authority started removing the padlocks.
Mount Huang, China
Huangshan is one of the most popular tourist places in China.
The meaning of Huangshan is “Yellow Mountain” and this mountain is recognized by UNESCO as a world heritage. In 1990, Mt. Huangshan was added to the world heritage list as a double heritage in culture and nature and followed by this in 2004, it was recognized as World Geopark.
Every year many people come to the place to experience the mesmerizing sunset, winter snowfall, granite peaks, Huangshan pine trees, and the view from the zenith of the mountain, etc.
The Huangshan Mountain is located in southern Anhui province in eastern China. This place has a core area of 154 square kilometers and a buffer zone of 142 square kilometers.
Lotus Peak, Bright peak, and celestial peak are the longest peaks with a height of 1,864 m 1849, 1829m gradually. In this place, one can easily notice the huge amount of locks are hanging on the guard bars and iron chains. This is another part of this world heritage to be on the list of tourists. Couples come to the place to enjoy the natural sceneries but they also want to make their love to be endured by hanging the padlocks and throwing the keys into the cliff.
This is also not a matter to dispute the beauty of colorful padlocks. There is a local allegory about the place for being recognized as a love lock place. Oh, every love lock destination has its own sort of stories and all. Well, this mountain is no exception either.
The tale is, a long ago, there were a beautiful girl and a poor young man who fell in love with each other but the father of the girl didn’t want her daughter to live a poor life. So he didn’t accept the relationship and married her off to a rich guy.
On the day of the wedding, the boy escaped and came to this Mount Huangshan and committed suicide jumping into the cliff. It’s also a tragic event! This is how the love lock tradition started and gave the relationship a visual representation for couples. For all these signs, each year around 2.74 million tourists come to visit and the number is increasing by 8.96% per annum.
Butchers’ Bridge, Slovenia
The Butchers’ Bridge is a pedestrian bridge over the river Ljubljanica in Ljubljana and it is the capital of Slovenia. This bridge opened on 10 July 2010 but before that in 1930, the main idea was proposed to build the bridge in the same name by the architect Jože Plečnik.
The bridge has a structural attraction for visitors that is the sculptor work made by Jakov Brdar. The construction of Butchers’ Bridge Bridge was launched by the city administration under the mayor Zoran Janković in 2009 and it costs around 2.9 million euros in total to be completed.
The following year the bridge was ready to be used. After opening the bridge publicly, people suddenly started to use it also as a love lock bridge. They attach the padlock on the railing and throw the keys in the river Ljubljanica. If anyone goes to the bridge s/he will eventually see the metallic rainbow over the Ljubljanica.
In a short span of time, the bridge took the heart of tourists for this love lock tradition and even some people say that the popularity is unexpectedly growing of this place.
- Camping chair combines a cOuncey design with a convenient built in cooler. Roomy 24 inches seat
- Built in 4 can cooler pouch keeps cold drinks within reach
- Fully cushioned seat and back provide support and comfort
- Mesh cup holder and side pocket for quick access to personal items
- Collapsible, folding design is easy to store and transport
Luzhkov Bridge, Moscow
The Luzhkov Bridge is located in Moscow, Russia was established in 1994 in the time of Mayor Mr. Luzhkov. Many local citizens think that the bridge was named after the mayor but the original version was named after Luhnow Kokoro in the 18th century.
This bridge is well known for its padlock tradition. The local citizens also believe that if they want to cut off the relationship they have to find the exact key of their padlock out of thousands of keys and for that they have to deep down to the Canal of Moscow River to explore the exact key.
It first started with a couple visiting the bridge and hanging a padlock on the railing. After this, in a short time, the railing of the bridge was fully covered by padlocks which literally hazardous for the bridge. The city authority started removing the locks and put all the padlocks on the iconic iron tree. The first padlock tree was established in April 2007 at the place and then visitors used to lock their padlock on the tree.
For installing the padlock tree here, the railing is rescued now from the heavyweight of tourist’s love token. Now there are a bunch of iron trees fully covered by colorful padlocks. What made the place more romantic to pledge love are church towers, the sculpture of Peter the Great, and many more things.
Malá Strana, Prague
Now just another love story which drove the love-seekers crazy in Czech.
They used to come to the bridge to see each other once a day. But their families weren’t willing to accept the relationship and killed them on the bridge.
Based on this bitter love story, local people started hanging on the padlocks on a pedestrian bridge located over a sidearm of the Vltava as a token of eternal love.
If tourists walk for a while in a lesser town (the meaning of Mala Santra), they will find the bridge near the Lennon wall where a bunch of padlocks showing thousands of commitments of lovers.
|1||Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Emergency Survival Kit, 151 Pcs Survival Gear First Aid Kit, Outdoor Trauma Bag with Tactical...||Buy on Amazon|
Moreover, to the dismay of the couples who want to make blue sky and clouds as their witness of love clasping the padlocks on the love lock places they should know that the tradition is not acceptable anymore in some countries.
Though all shaped and painted padlocks are spreading love, carrying the same deepest emotion of couples there is also a threat to the structural heritages all over the world. Some countries are spreading the trend with the hashtag “#lovewithoutlock” to secure the place from destruction.
Voicing with the governments around the world we do think that it is not compulsory to hang locks in order to display love or emotion. Nor is it required for better bonding. What important is focusing more on bringing back the previous traditions? Where people loved each other without the much need for showing off and stuff.
Look for what your partner is trying to say, address his/her needs, and make the best efforts to fulfill them. We think following these simple ways, without complicating and overprioritizing your affair is the key to a healthy relationship whether it is between husbands and wives or other family members.
Let love triumph!